Okay, so I lied. I am not ready to post on the Hierarchy of Fears. I have been constantly swallowed up by the laundry and other ill-timed nightly chores (deciding to clean my oven at 9pm…what?!) when I should’ve been working on my research, so it’s just not gonna happen folks. Instead, I’m going to introduce you to a more light-hearted topic I call my Happy List.
When you are in a constant ninja-battle against the monsters of anxiety and depression, sometimes it’s hard to find happiness in your day. In an attempt to celebrate the little moments of joy, I am going to compile a weekly list of the top 10 things that have made me happy during the week. This will also serve as a reminder of what to be grateful for as I trudge through life. I know I make it sound like I am in a constant state of despair when you read some of my posts, but that’s really not true (although I’ve had my fair share of dark days). I’m generally a happy person, and I’m at pretty good place right now. Even despite the anxiety ninja-battles. The Happy List is random and in no particular order (much like my life, ironically), but I find these little moments of happiness are what matter most. So, here you go.
The Happy List – Week 1
1. My new patio table (that replaced my old one that shattered into a million pieces). Dear dining al fresco: we’re back!
2. Drinking coffee (half-caff of course!) out of my Mexican Mug of Happiness. Yes, that’s what I call it. I picked this little beauty up on a recent trip to Cabo with my hubby. If only I could’ve brought back the chips and salsa.
3. My new laptop! Aka, my new “boyfriend”. Finally! We are still figuring each other out. But I like him, a lot.
4. Listening to old Dave Matthews Band albums. Boy, does that take me back to a carefree time. “Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die” (insert fiddle jam here).
5. Lemon-ginger mojitos. Yummmmm.
6. Coloring with Allie in her My Little Pony coloring books, and drawing pictures with Jack. What is it about a rainbow assortment of washable markers? I do declare.
7. Caprese salad everyday for lunch with fresh basil from the garden. Soon to have home-grown tomatoes added. And those fresh mozzarella cheese balls…oh my heavens. Did I mention how happy food makes me?
8. Watching my daughter absolutely loving her swim lessons (I hated them. Her teacher is a miracle worker.). Hearing her confident little voice yell, “I did it!”. Music to my ears.
9. Chaise lounges. Yes, please.
10. Words of affirmation and hugs of encouragement. Bucket, filled.
All right, first list complete! I encourage you to make your own list. There are so many little things we have to be thankful for. Don’t let the moments pass you by. Oh, I have to add a bonus round…while doing laundry tonight (waiting on the oven to self-clean, of course), I found $40 in my hubby’s shorts pocket!! Thank you, laundry fairy! #jackpot #mostmoneyivemadeallmonth #winning (I realize these are not actual working hashtags. But they make me happy. So there.)